Friday, July 8, 2011

cock a doodle doo

I think the roosters deserve their whole own post.

This morning they woke me up at right before 4 and they have this very organized call, with the rooster closest to me starting, and then the roosters successively in the distance following in line. The strange thing is is as the morning progresses, they get more and more out of sync. It' hard to know why.

As I was lying awake in the morning, I also noticed that it is not at all like cock a doodle doo, nor is it the French krii-krii. It's more like kra-a-doooooooooooooo and piercing. Not at all pleasant.

My grandmother wrote me a note about how when she was growing up on the farm, they used to get up dutifully at that call to do their chores and that roosters have a preternatural sense of when dawn is coming way before any light hits the sky. Interesting, but all I'm saying is this really seriously dissuades me from ever owning chickens and I can begin to understand how there was no remorse when my grandmother and her siblings wrung those chickens' necks and plucked out their feathers.

1 comment:

  1. Huck ain't sure who'll reap this harvest. Your grandma knows that, fo sho.

    ReplyDelete