Monday, July 11, 2011

waiting for doxy part 2

I need to stop taking this pill right before I go to bed! Oh well, an excuse to update on my day.

Woke up early to hit the gym--the fabulous Fitness 1. Because we're supposed to dress modestly here (let me tell you how funny it felt to try to pack for this trip and realize 90% of my wardrobe is not modest enough and the remaining 10% only is if I layer--Jess and I know have a huge joke about sexy elbows. I know, not that funny, but in context it kind of is--our preferred way of dressing is probably that of a pirate hooker here)--anyway, long segue, back to my morning gym outfit. I'm wearing sneakers, a loosely wrapped sarong and a t-shirt over my gym clothes. I don't think I've really ever looked better.

At the gym, both of us have decided to forsake the dress code, which actually formally states no tank tops. Unfortunately, I didn't bring anything else to work out in, and it's funny what mzungu status grants you, at once more restrictions (hire expectations to dress respectfully--I've seen plenty of Tanzanian sexy elbows on the street let me tell you) and yet freedom if you don't.

Our bijaj on the way home, the driver of which had an outfit that rivaled mine (think combat meets track suit meets hiking meets nerd socks), mysteriously broke down and just as his 'brother' (he claimed true) drove by to bring us the rest of the way. They did not look alike.

I sat in on my first staff meeting here, which should be the subject of another, more serious reflection on cultural norms.

Jess and I cranked out our first ppt most of the day and I have to say I'm pretty happy with what we produced. It's just the beginning of work, really, though scarily I have less than two weeks left of real work here at least before safari/Zanzibar vacation.

For lunch we ate hummus out of a can and I almost wretched. We have generally been eating a mixture of avocado, tomato, cucumbers, cheese, and chickpea (canned) salad with some other variations as they arise. But on the latest Shoppers adventure we found hummus right next to the chickpeas and decided it was a must try. I don't know what it was, but that hummus hit the roof of my mouth and made my stomach turn. There's been a more subtle but similar experience from some of the chickpea brands, but I figured that was the brine. As you can see, when there's not all that much going on, you can think a lot about very mundane things, like chickpeas.

The electricity was off again tonight but only for a short while. We have a generator so it's not a real issue for us, but there is a massive power problem in Tanzania and regularly scheduled blackouts. It's unsettling, if also of course so comforting, the luxuries we live with here as expats while so many, including a hospital we saw on the drive to dinner, go without.

No comments:

Post a Comment