Tuesday, July 5, 2011

waiting for doxy

Well, really it's waiting for doxy and ambien. I am not supposed to lie down for at least 30 minutes after taking doxycycline, my malaria drug, and as I waited I saw my tiredness slipping away and worried I'd have a repeat of last night despite my exhaustion. So I followed with an ambien chaser.

After the sleepless night, Jess and I walked down the road to get mangos for breakfast. Our house is in a compound on a ridiculous pit-holed dirt road off a rather busy main road where the fruit stand is. Since we sleep and work in the same place, these excursions are necessary to get out of the house and keep our sanity. Along the side of the road were all sorts of people who more or less completely ignored us. They are all part of the informal economy of coffee sellers, mini cafes, and a myriad of other things I don't yet understand, though I think sometimes people are just hanging out too. There were also many just walking along the street to--likely to one of the numerous bus stops but who knows--there seems to be hugely limited private transportation, even bicycles. It's either your own two feet or a crowded minibus it seems.

In the afternoon, after getting a good chunk of work done and taking a necessary nap, we took another walk the other way, back through the lovely neighborhood to find the mythical soda stand. So much forgiving up soda--in times of weakness (jet lag, hangover), it's all I crave. Only to find out they were empty! Drat! Still, a good find and a hance to explore the neighborhood.

More tomorrow, my chaser is kicking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment