Tuesday, June 22, 2010

korean barbecue


Korean barbecue is delicious. I had a literal feast last night on my first day in LA and just about rolled myself back to my hotel room, which I found to be quite disco fabulous.
LA is such an interesting mix of grit and glamour and I love driving around it: the terrible strip malls, the huge houses, the homeless on the streets of Hollywood, the valley girls, the hipsters. Here's my LA experience so far: marine layer, Prius, RegBevWil, suits, Korean BBQ, awesome waiters, laughs, mango, Hollywooooooood, glitz, hipsters, teenagers (sometimes hipster teenagers), chaise lounge, sleep (not enough), sweat, suits, friends. In that order. What else does this trip have in store after all that? I think tomorrow the real work starts.
Last night's meal was almost as good as the palace food in Seoul I had a couple years ago (pictured above--remember Jane?!), but not quite. Never visit Seoul without a local. Honestly that is a difficult town. I had been a total DIY traveler before and this year learned learned the awesomeness of being guided by a local. Though it takes away some of the joy of self discovery (and that is quite a significant loss), the things you experience and share more than make up for it. Though not the point of this post, a significant learning: let others help you.




1 comment:

  1. yeah, dude - i remember. the food was goodness, as were the full body scrubs, and the shopping, and the private art homes. badnesses were the careless lose, cab drivers not understanding korean, and the lack of international atms. in that order.

    ReplyDelete