Saturday, June 19, 2010

me and oprah

The Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator is a big part of the new job I just started. Everyone is expected to know their MBTI and it's part of "team norming" at the beginning of each study.

If I join full time, I'll be administered a much fuller version (apparently you have to go through a certified professional), but I took an online free test last night (technically it's a "type indicator" not a "test"; the difference being that it is supposed to reveal behavioral/personality preferences, not innate hard-coded traits). The test is developed based on Jung's typologies and classifies people into 16 different types with unique ways of seeing and responding to the world.

I had read about the types and maybe taken the same test a few years ago and was pretty sure I knew what my type was. Clearly, an extrovert (E), likely intuitive (N), probably about 40-60 thinking to feeling, and definitely a perceiver (P) as opposed to a judger (J).

Lo and behold, how wrong we are.

Taken not once but twice, behold: ENFJ

Strong E, very strong N, fairly strong F, moderate J, but a J unmistakably.

UPDATE: When I relay the news to Magali, she immediately sees it: Duh, she says, you've owed a Filofax since you were 15.

1 comment: