Saturday, June 26, 2010

saturday morning happy

Good conversation, super-sized Jenga, irreverence, and a strategy last night; catching up with friends, long morning in bed, museum, park, good food with J today. Missed tennis this morning but I think it was worth it.

The first week on the job is over: more relaxed than expected with more laughing. Total nerds, but I've always loved the nerds.

The gentleman I was with last night was introduced to me by a friend as proof that not everyone at work is a robot. He, of course, has now left the company, leaving me with the frigid robots (I jest, in part).

He told me that I'm never going to fit in (we always like to hear this--that we are unique, special--oh, the human ego) and that a general rule about my colleagues is that they are insecure overachievers. Therefore, anyone who is confident, independent, and can go about stuff with a little bit of fun is a complete anomaly and either looked at like a god or shunned. Well.

With that said, having this company on my resume is valuable so it's worth sticking it out for a year or so if I can make it work for me and do exactly what I want: don't think about upward mobility, just about getting out of it what I want. Then I can go back to Lincoln Center or wherever it is I want to be.

It's amazing to me how few people I work with seem to know what they want to do. They keep talking about "when I grow up" (in jest, but only partly) and are rather undirected even with their own development. Be invested in yourself people! At the same time, the firm really does pride itself on mentorship and helping to develop people; I see how that is put in practice and I respect that. I just think the way I want to develop may be outside the scope of the way the firm would like me to develop. We will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment