Thursday, August 19, 2010

inspiration

I'm really grateful to have the opportunity to work on a second project this summer. My life in LA was not exactly typical for a whole variety of reasons.

I'm also glad to be able to work in the industry I thought I'd like most--CPG/Retail.

Realization of the week #2: yeah, not so interested in this either.

In fact, I almost feel less good about this than I did about my previous job. CPG and Retail companies are generally just trying to get you to buy more crap. I tell you, we don't really need more crap. Sure, working for an inspirational company who is changing an industry might be amazing, but even those companies and brands people are passionate about--Nike, Avon, Target, etc.--are still selling stuff that generally people don't need!

Let's be clear. I like buying that stuff. We all know how I feel about clothes. And we can extend that to other awesome products, but it's not what I want to devote my life to, or what I want to build in this world. Increasing a company's profitability, regardless of its products, just does not inspire me. Talk about up-sell, cross-sell, etc., just depresses me.*

It's the same feeling I had at the beginning of my last study and I hope it doesn't go away ever, even if I choose to stay on for a few years in this position. I'm a little sad because I thought I'd be interested in this industry, but knowing is better than not knowing. Furthermore, it clarifies that I probably won't be interested in recruiting for any big CPG/Retail company so it seems it really is between this job and going back to the creative industries.

I want to work in a job, creating things, that inspires me and offers inspiration to others. Though this is generally an unfashionable position to hold these days (be damned postmodernism), this quotation from Thomas Hoving, the former director the Metropolitan Museum of Art, is sort of how I feel about it:

I tend to look upon works of art partly spiritual and mysterious and partly human and fragile. Their lofty nature helps me break free from the mundane. They provide a defense from all the cultural trash that threatens to inundate me. They keep me in balance. I need great works of art for the uplift of the soul. Their exalted character clears my brain. I harbor the secret hope that some of the genius they possess for eternity will rub off on me. Their all-too-human characteristics teach me something about humility. They enable me to fall in love with Mandingo.
How romantic. A busy fall awaits...

* I wonder if a "useful" industry would feel better, but I have no real inherent interest in energy, finance (there are some useful parts), etc. Of course, there are useful parts of all industries and I understand why people would be interested in many things. I just am inspired by something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment