Monday, August 16, 2010

she had so much

Current research suggests that, unlike consumption of material goods, spending on leisure and services typically strengthens social bonds, which in turn helps amplify happiness. (Academics are already in broad agreement that there is a strong correlation between the quality of people’s relationships and their happiness; hence, anything that promotes stronger social bonds has a good chance of making us feel all warm and fuzzy.)
And the creation of complex, sophisticated relationships is a rare thing in the world. As Professor Dunn and her colleagues Daniel T. Gilbert and Timothy D. Wilson point out in their forthcoming paper, only termites, naked mole rats and certain insects like ants and bees construct social networks as complex as those of human beings. In that elite little club, humans are the only ones who shop.
A great couple of paragraphs from last week's widely-circulated NYT article, "But Will It Make You Happy?". My parents have always focused us on experiences--our cars weren't fancy, but we traveled the world. We lived abroad and visited friends who were also living abroad, we spent money on summer camps that were pivotal to both my brother and myself. It has made our family, especially my relationship with my brother, immeasurably closer.

This summer has been one of re-knitting connections with old friends and building networks and experiences with new ones. I'm excited to one day build that community in one place, but how lucky am I to take those individuals I find scattered--it is a rare thing indeed to find that connection.
.
Probably not something we didn't know already...but nice to be reminded (also nice to see the realization at the end that sometimes clothes DO make some people happy. I'm sorry, I just love dem; likewise, the means to build a home, be surrounded by beauty of one type or another).

No comments:

Post a Comment