Tuesday, August 3, 2010

a purpose-driven life

A good friend just sent me the Clay Christensen article, "How Will You Measure Your Life," an adaptation of his talk to HBS's 2010 graduating MBA class published in Harvard Business Review.

Christensen's theory dovetails nicely with my own goals and processes this summer. Though I've been a little slack in the past two weeks, writing here is my meditation on how to create meaning and purpose in my own life, how to find inspiration, and how to realize it.

It is my attempt to determine my own priorities, and maybe even my own principles. Principles is something I've always been soft on (though maybe, it's been my principle to be soft on principles, or perhaps, rather, contextual on principles; this of course leads me to one of my greatest fears--that I would not have stood up for the injustices in WWII, and in fact do not stand up strongly enough against injustice today, but that, again, is for another day; it's something I do not quite know how to deal with yet).

The article is definitely worth a read (and please, if you've read David Brooks's NYT Op-Ed about it, don't be deterred and please make sure to read the source. Brooks creates a false dichotomy between two methodologies of a considered life).

It also reminded me of something I've been meaning to post for quite some time: a beautiful animation of what motivates us. Shockingly (and sorry to ruin the ending, but hopefully you already knowthis), it turns out, as human beings, we are not motivated by profit, but by purpose. Let's realign around that--let's do things that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment