Wednesday, August 18, 2010

know thyself: fail, part 2

I have been going around all summer talking about how my former industry--the arts--was woman-heavy and I was therefore most comfortable working with and being around women.

That is a pure load baloney. In fact, the people I worked with daily over three years were men, with the exception of my boss and the directors above her.

On my new study, I'm working primarily with women and I remember some of the difficulties I've had in the past in all female environments. Even if it's not, it feels more competitive. Often times the competition isn't even about work, but just who has the bigger voice. These are generally contests I either like to explicitly dominate or not engage in. In addition, the project manager is maternal in a way that almost makes me uncomfortable. Of course, we all really work with individuals, not genders, but women working with women notoriously have a certain built in tension. Also, interesting to note the stories I invent about myself, some of which are just SO wrong (remember the P vs. J debate?). Why do I do that? 

So, I revise my position: I think I prefer to work with men, but have inspirational women leaders. I'm still a little scared of senior men in suits and shiny shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment