Monday, August 2, 2010

saturday morning happy (empire state of mind)

Took a break from the introspection to have the perfect New York weekend. I didn't even open my laptop after 3pm Friday.

Between all that laughing and crying, I'm sure I grew more than a little hair on my butt (a now 15-year-old joke that does not get old), but it is worth it worth it to have these times: dancing with the old ladies and 10 year old boys (and man did one take over the dance floor), meeting friends of friends, sitting outside in the sun at Morandi's, champagne in the morning (and the afternoon...and maybe the evening), goodbyes, hellos, hugs, gossip, getting down to it, leafy West Village, being real grown ups but still laughing like kids, oysters and artisinal cocktails, MoMA, seeing New York anew.

When I lived in New York, I never understood why people talked about the crazy energy of the city. It was just so ingrained in my everyday. Returning now--the first time since January--I suddenly felt it. I was so excited as I landed, butterflies in my stomach, and everywhere I went, I marveled at the city. New York is not known as an architecture city but I couldn't stop exclaiming over the details on the 19th and 20th century buildings, the brownstone blocks, the gilded domes only visible from some angles. But more than the architecture--the people! The most astonishing, beautiful, and wacky people. Some trying to impress everyone else, others who just couldn't give a rat's ass. I just could stop looking. Only in New York...

I rescind my condemnation of you New York. I don't know that I'll ever live in your prickly embrace again but I do love to visit and you know, I know better now than to say never...





These photos surprised me in my inbox this morning. Caught appreciating the city twilight after Magali's lovely lovely bridal tea...

No comments:

Post a Comment