Wednesday, November 10, 2010

inspiration on a rainy day

3 things this morning:

1) I'm so excited for this film to come out:



When I was an intern at Creative Time way back in 2003, they had recently completed a project with Vik Muniz and I've been following his work since. When Kevin first shared this video over the summer, I was skeptical. The movie seemed potentially exploitative, romanticizing poverty and moreover "saving from poverty," and advocating a missionary-like view of the artist. My position has softened since and I'm not sure why. Maybe I trust the artist and filmmakers more, maybe the cynicism has given way, maybe I am just ready for some beauty and inspiration. Whichever, it's opening at the Kendall theater on November 19. Holla.

2) My friend Lauren, whom many of you know well. She and her boyfriend Luke have been living in remote Chilean Patagonia for the past three months. I've recently become hesitant to say I'm proud of people because it implies some sort of positioning/ownership I'm not sure I'm comfortable with, but goddammit I am so proud of/impressed by/jealous of/happy for her. This is an adventure of a lifetime and after years in New York, it must be an amazing experience to just pick up for something so otherwordly. I can't wait to see what happens next and I can't wait to welcome her back to the US with open arms and see/hear more about this time. Read her blog. There's more adventure there than you can believe, including a recent run in with a bull.

3) Today's Letters Tuesday Question. I think I've mentioned this blog before and there are some parts of it that sort of make me want to scoff and churn, but overall, I love this idea of investing regularly in your relationship, of keeping lines of communication open, and of being open and proactive about taking care of those you love. Maybe it won't be everyday letters, but a regular practice of gratitude, appreciation, and forgiveness for those I love is something I'd like to create.

4) New Orleans tomorrow! Bring it on city of jazz, intrigue, and debauchery. Psyched cause Prospect 1.5 just opened too. Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment