Saturday, November 13, 2010

tell me how you really feel

I've been trying to practice lately saying what I really feel. For those of you who know me well (presumably, everyone reading this), this is not exactly something I struggle with. The direct method has been my preferred mode of communication for years. However, among loved ones or in certain situations (personal or professional), we often subsume or sugar coat our true thoughts or feelings.

I recently caught part of He's Just Not That Into You on television. I've seen the movie before and remember having pretty mixed emotions about it--it was at once incredibly degrading and pathetic, and at the same time, very familiar.

Being honest is perhaps the best thing we can do for those we love. Of course we must do it empathetically and lovingly if the news we're delivering may be hard to hear--and of course, there are other times when it is really better just to say nothing--but friends can help us confront our own destructive behavior, bad decisions, and tough realities. Some of my most important self-realizations and growth has happened in these circumstances.

So bring it on! And, in return, I promise to be honest, loving, and sensitive to you through periods of toughness and of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment