Sunday, November 7, 2010

investing

It's hard to start writing again without wanting to update, but that is not the purpose of this exercise. This is a letter to no one, but a space to process, to reflect, to be conscious and conscientious.

The freneticisim of the fall has begun to abate and I can focus again, make choices about how I want to spend my time and with whom, and begin to be the daughter, friend, person I want to be.

On Thursday, I made an important decision, more in its symbolism than anything else: I chose not to take on another course. Small, yes, but a step in the right direction of taking on only what I can truly handle and moreover, only those things that energize me and that I want to do. In fact, I just said no to something else tonight, something that might have been an honor. I am thrilled with my progress in shutting people/opportunities down. Ha. I jest, but it's an important skill to learn: there is no way I can invest and give where I really want to if I don't know how to say no. And there are too many opportunities, people, and experiences in which I want to give myself fully to say yes to those that are not up to par.

And of those experiences: A weekend well-spent (except now I have to get to all things I "should" do that I already committed to!): organizing life and thoughts, good friend rescue (I was rescuee) and staying calm in the face of misadventure (Boston parking, I do hate thee), dancing in gilt and glitz and a country cafe (the second wins), walks in the woods, and a lazy Sunday of good food and good hugs. That prototype is maybe getting there incrementally.

No comments:

Post a Comment