Thursday, July 1, 2010

the large hadron collider

The header picture is an image of the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, near Geneva, Switzerland.

I was first enamored with it years ago when I read about it in the same article that first enamored me of The New Yorker (both affections persist).

1. What an amazing name. Right? So evocative!
2. It is beautiful. I mean unbelievably beautiful. And it is designed to do the most complex difficult process on earth (split atoms).
3. The people working on it (profiled in The New Yorker) are just hilarious; or at least I recall them to be (then again, this may be mixed up with some terrible Dan Brown book I read that referenced CERN around this same time--fiction informs life).

The header image is pilfered from an amazing set of photos from The Boston Globe. There is something so majestic about this complex machine. And so so ambitious. I love when form follows function.

[I am still at work. I am checked out. I refuse to do more. Which literally means I am being held captive.]

1 comment:

  1. large hadron collider = way cooler than mktg workstream any day, are you KIDDING?!

    remember that amazing ancient greek statue in the louvre that you told me about on one visit, about how it used to guide ships or smthg in like 675 BC, and i just couldn't deal with the enormous beauty of it? that was awesome. you (and it) blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete