Saturday, July 17, 2010

saturday morning happy

More like Saturday afternoon happy, brought to you and to me via my brother JtotheCtotheB.

In response to my current gchat status message, one of my favorites of all time (I know, Storypeople is a theme...I'll start finding other sources of inspiration...maybe):
i read once that the ancient egyptians had fifty words for sand & the eskimos had a hundred words for snow. i wish i had a thousand words for love, but all that comes to mind is the way you move against me while you sleep & there are no words for that.
He sent me this, a treatise on Eskimo words for snow, and this:
have I explained turkish has two words for love? sevgi and aşk? and that sevgi is what you have for your family and that aşk is like the pure romantic love? (Also the love Sufis have for God, go figure) Anyway, aşk can only last three years I think and then afterwards fades to sevgi. The grammar is even interesting. I love you (also I like you) is "Seni seviyorum" which is the same way you would say "I like soccer" (Futbolu seviyorum). With aşk though, its different. Its not usually said to someone, but about how you feel about someone. You say "aşık oldum" or literally "I became in love". Instead of in the present tense, its already in the past. It's already something that happened.
I always love love love how language changes meaning. Two favorite parts of literature, courtesy of Milan Kundera: the description of the difference between compassion in English and its closest Hungarian synonym, which is closer to "co-feeling" in The Unbearable Lightness of Being; the unpacking of "nostalgia" in Ignorance.


In response to who knows what since Jewel is not exactly my favorite, but still this video is totally awesome.



I may have teared.

No comments:

Post a Comment